Thursday, February 3, 2011

Do we protect incompetent teachers?

I probably don't agree with 90% of what this blogger writes, but ok, so, I'm going to do it.  A quote from Liberty's Lifeline:
Why in the world would a talented teacher want to link his career to an incompetent teacher and be sold to a school district as a package? Are teachers professionals or are they not? If they are, then why do they aspire to the level of an unskilled assembly line worker?


Every school teacher should probably ask whether or not this is the case with their own union- and act accordingly. I believe in unionization. However I also believe in choice and democracy and accountability. 





1 comment:

  1. Mike,
    I enjoy reading some of the items on your blog. Can you help me understand what the continuing benefit of unions is, for the overall goal of improving education? You don't disagree with my post at Liberty's Lifeline; you don't seem to believe in seniority in hiring and firing; you believe in paying good teachers more for their skills; all items I for which agree with you. I have never met an ambitious, innovative worker that liked being in a union. If they had a chance to let their talents take them as far as their ability would take them, they wanted no part of a union that they felt only stifled them and held them back.

    Bill O'Connell

    ReplyDelete